What’s in the lean meat and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds and legumes/beans group?
Foods from this food group fall into 6 categories. Examples include:
- Lean meats - Beef, lamb, veal, pork, kangaroo, lean (lower salt) sausages
- Poultry - Chicken, turkey, duck, emu, goose, bush birds
- Fish and seafood - Fish, prawns, crab, lobster, mussels, oysters, scallops, clams
- Eggs - Chicken eggs, duck eggs
- Nuts and seeds - Almonds, pine nuts, walnut, macadamia, hazelnut, cashew, peanut, nut spreads, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts
- Legumes/beans - All beans, lentils, chickpeas, split peas, tofu.